Since the establishment of the Office of Patient Experience in 2007, Cleveland Clinic has measured the success of new and innovative service excellence training programs and tactics using several key metrics.
- Overall ranking in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) survey of patient satisfaction jumped from about average to among the top 8% in a comparison of approximately 4,600 hospitals. (Health Care’s Service Fanatics, Harvard Business Review, May 2013)
- Studies have indicated a direct correlation between employee engagement and patient satisfaction. Annual surveys indicate an increase in overall employee engagement from the 38th percentile in 2008 to the 57th percentile in 2012. (Health Care’s Service Fanatics, Harvard Business Review, May 2013)
- Complaint volume as reported by Cleveland Clinic’s Ombudsman Office decreased dramatically, likely due to reinvigoration of our service excellence model and service recovery tool.
Our Communicate with H.E.A.R.T.® service excellence training model helps empower leadership to recognize, reward and redirect behaviors based on how it aligns with the Communicate with H.E.A.R.T.® approach, and is a key driver to a sustained, patient-centric culture.
Why do you need H.E.A.R.T.®?
- It benefits both employees and patients while impacting employee engagement and patient satisfaction
- Patient experience is directly related to reimbursement
- Patient experience is a differentiator in attracting and retaining patients
- Nearly all healthcare organizations are pursuing a customer service strategy
- It is transferable and customizable, allowing for a local culture-centric approach
- It was developed in a healthcare organization by healthcare professionals and validated in a diverse, heterogeneous environment of more than 40,000 caregivers
- Service excellence training has a quantifiable organizational impact
- It’s simply the right thing to do
Supported by practical and easy to remember tools, Communicate with H.E.A.R.T.® is the foundation of Cleveland Clinic’s delivery of service excellence.